- First constructed 1740
- Acquired by the Spitalfields Trust 1997
- Listed Grade II
- Stepney Green Conservation Area
With near-perfect timing, the Trust was able to pack up its tools and equipment at 107/113 and march them up the road to its new project here in August 1996. Of all the Trust’s properties, perhaps it is this pair that most transformed the surrounding streetscape so as to ensure the future prosperity of an entire district.
Both houses had lost their front gardens to shops around 1900 but No.133/135, the left hand house, was a very sad case, having had a roadway ploughed through its heart at some point and its top floor taken off after World War ll bomb damage. But, as in so many of our projects, neglect and lack of upkeep had perversely protected many of the remaining internal features.
One of the highlights of the restoration works came on the morning of Thursday 11 August 1999 when the Trust’s workforce and its trusty administrator gathered in the rear garden of No.133/135 to witness the near total solar eclipse.
After a year or so, the Trust sold on No. 137/139 and continued to take No. 133/135 to virtual completion. In both cases the new owners then worked together to reinstate the front gardens, brick walls, piers and cast-iron railings. Their planting has added real distinction to one of the most remarkable transformations of its sort in London, and greatly enhances what is one of the best of London’s historic main roads.