- First constructed 15ᵗʰ Century and 1599
- Acquired by the Spitalfields Trust 2001
- Listed Grade II*
- Awards: RICS Award 2006 Usk Civic Society Award 2005 Civic Trust Award 2009
This important Welsh vernacular building has a complex history. Of what stands today the earliest extant fabric is an open hall cruck-framed house of 15th century date, which would originally have been complete with central hall, open fire and screens passage, flanked by service and solar wings. Later this was all raised to two storeys, had a stone chimney-stack inserted and was encased in stone. In 1599 Roger Edwards, a notable local figure, rebuilt the parlour/ solar wing as a monumental four-storied tower. The importance of this tower lies partly in its date and partly in its architectural detailing – symmetrically placed mullioned windows and a cluster of diagonally set chimney stacks in what were to become common features of the so called Renaissance style of the 17th-century. Within, this tower has a very fine newel staircase with solid oak treads. Chamfered fireplace surrounds, moulded plaster detailing and early boarded doors set in decorative door frames give it a real sense of style.